Do you remember about our granny when it comes to eating Vitamin A? She must have told you that eat carrots everyday for good sight and eye health. She was so right, vitamin is closely associated with retina of the eye. Here are some important tips related to Vitamin A.
1. It is a Fat soluble vitamin.
2. Vitamin A plays role in eye,immune function, reproduction mainly.
3. Pre formed vitamin comes from non veg foods while form of vitamin A comes from vegetarian sources.
4. Vitamin A is stored in the liver. Every individual has unique ability to convert carotenoids to retinoids in the body. If an individuals body is not able to convert carotenoids in required form., they need to go for dietary modification or supplements.
5. Retinoids found in animal foods while carotenoids are found in vegetarian sources.
6. Carotenoids found in food are available as carotenoids (alfa, beta, gamma, delta, elsilon, zeta etc) ; xanthophils is a color found in vegetables and fruits.
7. Retinoids that is vitamin A coming from non veg food sources is important in child birth, infancy, growth, night vision, prevention of infectious diseases.
8. Vitamin A coming from vegetarian sources works as antioxidants, anti-nutrient agent.
9. To treat age related macular degeneration one must include foods high in lutein and zeaxanthin such as spinach. Kale, Swiss chard etc.
10. Top sources of Vitamin A: